With different seasons comes the need for different types of clothing. During the off season, clothing can be stored in a garage or storage facility. It is important to store these clothes properly. If not, bugs such as carpet beetles and silverfish can make a nest in the clothes. They can even leave your clothing with unrepairable holes. Mildew is another concern if clothing is not stored in the proper conditions.
- Wash the clothes you wish to store. Do this even if you believe the clothes are already clean. The cleaner the clothes, the less likely you are to find insects.
- Dry your clothes in the dryer on high heat without any fabric softeners. Fabric softeners can attract insects. The high heat will kill any insects that were already on the clothing.
- Hang your dresses, blouses and dress pants on plastic hangers. Place them inside a thick canvas bag. Do not use thin garment bags as these are prone to mildew. Also, before zippering up the bag throw in a few tiny bags of silica gel. This will keep the area dry to prevent mildew.
- Fold and set your other clothing down flat in a plastic box. Between each piece of clothing put a sheet of acid-free tissue paper. This helps keep colors from fading. Add some silica gel packs to the box, and place a lid on it.
- Place your garment bags and plastic boxes in a storage area or facility that is well ventilated. Cold basements and hot attics are not ideal for clothing storage. A closet or underneath a bed will work if you are not planning on using a storage facility.